The first retail store for clothing opened doors in Johannesburg on 6th of September 1929 by the two brothers Morris and Eli Ross. During the year of 1935 the shop moved to Cape Town. In 1937 the second Edgars store was open. The first offered products by Edgars tailored women wear fashion only. The company expanded its offerings into children and men wears as well as added a big variety of products in the scope of textiles, jewelry, and footwear. Since then the company has grown enormously and became one of the biggest retailer in South Africa. The year of 1979 celebrated the 50th anniversary of Edgars.